Thursday, April 18, 2013

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1) by Stacia Kane

Blurb: 
THE DEPARTED HAVE ARRIVED.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.


 
 
I’m pretty sure I have found my new series to be addicted to! I loved this book. I can’t explain it. I was drawn in and didn’t want to put it down. I will be moving directly into book 2. I can already tell it will only get better from here.

When I first started reading I was a little unsure of the story. I was like, eh, it’s good but I’m not pulled in. But the more I read the more the mystery and spooks got to me and I just had to know what would happen next. Heads up, if you decide to read make sure you read the little snippet at the beginning of each chapter. I made the mistake of skipping the first few and then I was completely lost. I had no idea what the author was talking about, lol. I was like wait…Church witches? I thought the church was holy……It’s pretty awesome how the authors ties these 2 together.

All EIT fans should read this book! Seriously, Experiment in Terror by Karina Halle is my absolute favorite series ever, and this tied in quiet nicely with that particular genre. I have not been able to find anything that could hold a match to EIT, but this comes close to it. We get that spookiness, the paranormal creatures and a slowly but surly building romance as well as what could be a future love triangle. I loved that about Unholy Ghosts. The love wasn’t in your face! It’s a romance that we are going to have to work for and that keeps me coming back for me. Sure, there are some hot moments but as far as the super fast I love you forever kind of deal, we are going to be waiting a little while for that, lol.

Oh, and our heroine Chess. She is pretty bad ass. She is a witch that works for the Church to help protect the people from ghosts. She is a Debunker and a ghost hunter….but she is also kinda hooked on drugs, lol. She does the things she does to support her habit and I loved that our heroine wasn’t perfect! How many times do we sit down and read about people and we are like, no one is that perfect, or no one really acts like that in real life. Chess is pretty awesome. She is sucked in by her drug dealer and forced to a do a favor of helping get rid of a few ghosts. Sounds simple for someone that does this for a living---but these are not just any ghosts. They are nasty ghosts. Luckily she gets the help of Terrible!!

Terrible can be described as someone that isn’t really good looking, but is totally swoon worthy! I really don’t know what it is about the guy, but you will swoon for him, and feel for him and think of him when you sleep, lol.

 
 

Overall I was very please with this book. I haven’t had much luck this year with finding a book that makes me want more. This has broken the cycle. I can’t wait to jump into book 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment