Sunday, May 19, 2013

EIT Challenge- Darkhouse (Book 1) by Karina Halle


 

I am a few weeks behind on the EIT reading challenge, but I promise I have a very good reason. You see I am about...oh, 5 months pregnant and have been crazy off my ass for the last few months. The fatigue is finally wearing off and I feel like I am getting back to my normal self again, so rest assured, I will not slack again, lol.

So, how does the Experiment in Terror reading challenge work? Over a 6 weeks period all of the current books in EIT will be read and put on tour. To the veterans, why not read them again, I mean come on, THEY ARE THE BEST! And to the newbies, really, why not give it a try? Book 1 is free and the challenge isn't so far gone that you can't catch up. I say, give it a go if you haven't already. Now, we all have an excellent reason to re-read the best series ever, get some new followers hooked on the series and talk, talk, talk about all the things that are happening in each book and what we hope to see in the books to come.

Not only is this challenge going to be a fun one, it will also be rewarding. Filled with different prizes and awesome insight on the series from awesome fellow bloggers. Be sure to check out the official post (here) that invites you to join the challenge and also enter the giveaways at the blogs participating in the tour.

Now that I am finished ranting on why you need to experience my favorite book series, I can talk about my re-read session.

I NEVER read a book twice, let alone an entire series, but when I saw that so many others are joining the EIT Reading Challenge I decided to join in. Let me start by saying that I was not disappointed! People watch movies over and over, how is reading a book again any different? It isn't! While re-reading Darkhouse I was able to come to terms with myself and realize I have an addiction. A serious, serious addiction. I just can't imagine my life without Dex and Perry....pathetic, I know...but so true!

I originally read Darkhouse before I started blogging, so probably May 2012. I added a review later to the blog. Here is it. I'm going to add a few things to this post that popped at me while reading again. It's so awesome how you can read something again, especially something you love, and find new things and get new feelings. Plus,  all of my old feelings came rushing back in and I am in full fledge Dex mode again. 


 
Things We Learn in Darkhouse:
  • Perry has kickass taste in music.
  • Perry is an awesome dresser by my standards
  • Dex is a smart ass
  • The Errol Flynn "stache is coming back in style
  • Perry's mom is kind of a douche
  • Dex's birthday- August 18
  • Dex can sing and he was in a band.... Sin Sing Sinatra
  • Oh, and Jen obviously cares nothing about Dex
Per Karina Halle "If you were ever wondering what Sin Sing Sinatra looked like back in Dex and Maximus's college days...I think the band would look like THIS (I am amazed at this photo, btw...Kyuss rules)"

Dex and Perry Meet:
"Who are you?"
The man didn't say anything. His silhouette started to rock back and forth slightly.
"That depends on who you are," he said simply.
Hell, even I didn't know who I was right now. I shook my head.
"I asked you first."
He signed and reached back into his picket. He fished out a business card and handed it to me. He picked up his camera and shone it on the black paper.
"Dex Foray," I read the shiny white print aloud. "Producer, cameraman, cinematographer. Shownet."



Later...Perry Freak Out:
"You'd best stay with me," he said.
I couldn't believe it. Part of me wanted to stay with him for some reason, but the rational part knew that "some reason" wasn't good enough.
I shook my head violently. "You? I don't know who the fuck you are. You give me a business card? I'm not going to be part of your rapist tower."
 

Book Playlist:
I rolled my eyes and got out of bed feeling self- conscious with my thunder things rolling beneath by long Bad Religion T-shirt that doubled as a nightgown.

"Oh, whatever Mom," said Ada, who was dressed sensibly in pastel skinny jeans, ballet flats and a black furry vest over a shrunken Alice in Chains T- shirt (which was my shirt, of course. Like she knew who AIC was).

Radiohead's OK Computer was playing on my iPod and lulling me into a sort of dreamland, blurring reality.

I considered writing a little blurb about my experiences as a failed stuntwoman, or maybe about one of my favorite bands, Slayer.

He flipped his MP3 player on. To my surprise, Billy Joel can on. "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" to be precise. Dex began to sing along.

After twenty minutes of being way too aware of Dex's body beneath me and his hot breath at the nape of my neck and being subjected to nonstop Nickleback courtesy of the twins God-awful CD player, we finally rolled info a shoddy-looking marina littered with half-abandoned fishing trawlers and stacks of rotting crates. (I refuse to link Nickleback. Just thinking of looking up their music makes my skin crawl, lol)

I felt like we were headed into battle. I could almost hear dramatic WWII music in my head. That, and the theme song from The Matrix.

I was going to look like Yoko Ono at my meeting. I hoped Frida wasn't a Beatles fan.

We didn't speak for about ten minutes. I could hear  Elton John singing "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" very quietly from the speakers; I found the lyrics to be especially poignant.

"Scenes From and Italian Restaurant" faintly playing from the speakers, which immediately reminded me of his sing along session in the car yesterday. Felt so long ago. I must have smiled involuntarily because he handed me my bag from behind the seat and said, "Want me to start singing again? I'll sing you the whole CD. 'My Life', 'Piano Man', 'She's Always a Woman'..."



"Because sometimes I lie, Perry. We all lie, even you, but not everyone is brave enough to admit it."

No comments:

Post a Comment