Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: Spellbinding by Maya Gold

FINISHED! I enjoyed this book so much! It’s very teeny bopper (lol, my sister in law still uses that term), but I loved it. Sometimes we just have to indulge in our guilty pleasures even if it entails reading a book about teenagers and high school and proms when we are at the ripe old age of 25, lol.

Does anyone remember the movie Teen Witch? It came out in the 80’s? It was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid; I watched it over and over with my Aunt and Uncle. Parts of this book reminded me so much of that movie, I’m sure that’s what caused me to be so drawn into it. Our heroine, Abby hides in the background. She has one friend that she talks but, but doesn’t really confide in her. I’m getting ahead of myself on this, but what reminds me of Teen Witch is that she is not a popular girl, the popular girls hate her and she has a major crush on Miss Popularities boyfriend. So what would a growing witch do that has a crush on someone? Make a love potion of course!! Ok, ok, so back to the beginning of the story, lol.

Abby discovers that she is a descendent of one of the women accused of witchcraft during the Salem witch trials. This gets her brain moving. She has noticed a lot of weird thing happening around her, like objects moving, things doing what she thinks, but she hasn’t really put 2 and 2 together until she makes this connection.

Abby is literally pulled to Salem one afternoon with her friend Rachel. She can’t explain it but she just has to go there. While in Salem she meets Rem J Ahhhh Rem. Super cute coffeehouse waiter that Abby has an instant connection with. As Abby and Rachel are leaving the coffeehouse she sees a now hiring sign in the window of a local shop. She jumps at the opportunity of getting a summer job, and can’t place exactly why this place has called to her.

Now that Abby is working in Salem she has more time to spend with Rem. They are just friends but she has this connection to him. Problem is, he is holding back. It’s like he wants her, then he doesn’t. He is SOOOO frustrating!! But I loved him all just the same.

Abby is trying to harness her new powers, but finds out pretty quickly that magic is not something you play around with.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. I didn’t find that I had any disconnect with it. I was drawn in from the beginning and stayed glued to my kindle until I finished. If you are looking for something light, with a teen romance and magic spells I would recommend Spellbinding. Also if you are a fan of The Secret Circle, check this out. I loved Secret Circle and got the same vibe off this as I did the show. 3.75 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment